I know that everyone wants to increase sales so here are 5 treid-and-tested ways to get your customers buying more.
1. Cross-Selling. This one is an old trick. Would you like a case for your new mobile phone? Do you want some batteries to go with that torch? What about insurance? You can also link items – “customers who bought this item also purchased this”, for example.
2. Upselling. This is where you convince someone to buy a better version of what they intended purchasing. If someone is ready to buy a computer it doesn’t take a lot of selling to convince them they should have a bit more memory. In other words, “do you want fries with that?”
3. Limited offers. People feel pressure to buy something if they know it is reduced for a limited time period. It doesn’t even have to be something they were even thinking of purchasing. The time limit forces them to make a decision.
4. Date related vouchers. In a similar manner, offering date restricted vouchers or coupons also tempt people. If they think they are getting a bargain they will consider a purchase. This one can be used time and again, limited to a particular month for instance. It is especially useful for seasonal businesses that have regular quiet periods in the year.
5. Pay more to save more. It’s that bargain mentality again. If your next purchase is £50, we’ll take off £10. If it is £100 we’ll deduct £25. Sweet.
Of course these offers can be combined to give added value.